Resources for Potential Changes in 2020-2021
In early January, Superintendent Deborah Gist submitted her recommendation to the Board of Education to close Wright Elementary School at the end of the 2019-2020 school year. At our regular meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 21, the Board voted to approve this recommended closure.
Effective in the 2020-2021 school year, students currently enrolled Wright Elementary will be assigned to one of two new neighborhood schools: Eliot Elementary School or Patrick Henry Elementary School. Our deaf education program will be moved - in full - to Patrick Henry, allowing students to continue through to the deaf education programs at Edison middle and high schools. Over the coming months, we will work closely with the deaf education team at Wright to ensure that the new program space is designed to meet the needs of our students.
In the coming weeks, you will receive a letter confirming your child’s new neighborhood school assignment. The teams at both Patrick Henry and Eliot elementary schools are looking forward to welcoming your child to their new school community in the 2020-2021 school year. These schools will hold new family open houses in the early spring - look for those invitations soon!
If you are interested in considering other school options in our district, we will be providing additional enrollment support for any families affected by school closures and consolidations on the following dates:
● Sat., Jan 25 from 10am-2pm: Enrollment Center (2819 S. New Haven Ave.)
● Mon., Jan. 27 from 7am-7pm: Grimes Elementary School (3213 E. 56th St.)
● Tues., Jan. 28 from 7am-7pm: Jones Elementary School (1515 S. 71st E. Ave.)
● Wed., Jan. 29 from 7am-7pm: Wright Elementary School (1110 E. 45th Pl.)
● Thurs., Jan. 30 from 7am-7pm: Mark Twain Elementary School (541 S. 43rd W. Ave.)
We have every reason to believe that the teachers and staff at Wright will have other opportunities in our district. We will continue to engage with the Wright team to ensure that - as much as possible - teachers are able to move with their students.
Parent Meeting Presentation
January - March
- Meetings with teachers and staff potentially affected by closures and consolidations
- Meetings with families potentially affected by closures and consolidations
March - June
- District and school teams plan for and begin implementation
- Changes would take effect
- How do we support our families and teams during closures and consolidations?
- What happens when Tulsa Public schools are closed or consolidated?
- What will happen to the teachers at Wright?
- What if I want to send my child to another school instead of Eliot or Patrick Henry?
- My child is on transfer. Will he or she be able to attend Eliot or Patrick Henry?
- Will my child be eligible for transportation?